A number of controversial proposals for the regeneration of a busy Co Antrim seaside town have been dropped.
Initial plans for commercial and residential development at the Marine Gardens in Carrickfergus have now been scrapped in favour of constructing a brand new state-of-the-art park on the site.
Those behind the Carrickfergus Masterplan now aim to run an international landscape design competition to find a suitable layout for the new park at Marine Gardens.
Plans for a new marina at Fisherman's Quay have also been ditched in favour of turning the location into a water sports facility.
There are now new plans for the construction of a one storey 'below ground level' water sports centre at Fisherman's Quay and plans for the construction of a 2.5 storey sight-seeing tower close to Carrick Sailing Club.
It is thought the changes to the Masterplan were introduced after the initial plan was met with opposition from members of the public and elected representatives during the consultation period last year.
However, another controversial part of the Masterplan - the narrowing of the Marine Highway from four lanes to two, remains in place.
The Marine Highway has been identified as a major barrier separating the Castle and waterfront from the town centre - effectively splitting Carrickfergus town in two.
The Masterplan was commissioned in January 2009 by the Department for Social Development in partnership with Carrickfergus Council and the Carrickfergus Development Company.
Urban development consultants, the Paul Hogarth Company, is producing the Masterplan.
Last week NI Social Development Minister, Margaret Ritchie, announced the changes to the initial proposals. Ms Ritchie said: "I urged people at the start of the consultation period in September to examine draft proposals put forward and I welcome the overwhelming response.
"The views and suggestions expressed, helped guide us through very substantive issues for regenerating Carrickfergus town centre and these will be considered when we come to finalising the Masterplan."
Alderman Patricia McKinney, Mayor of Carrickfergus, said: "It is wonderful that the people of Carrickfergus have shown how passionate they are about their town. Thanks to the thoughtful and considered responses from people in the Borough, our Masterplan will truly reflect what people want."
The revised Masterplan will be submitted to Carrickfergus Council for discussion in February before being completed in the next few months.
An exhibition board showing a revised draft Masterplan is now available at the Civic Centre in the DeCourcy Centre and the office of Carrickfergus Development Company at 8 West Street until Wednesday 3 February.
(BMcC/GK)
Construction News
01/02/2010
Carrick Masterplan 'Scrapped'

02/04/2025
EirGrid, the state-owned electricity grid operator, has announced the successful completion of essential onshore cable ducting works at Claycastle Beach in Youghal, County Cork, as part of the Celtic Interconnector project.
This marks a significant step forward for the subsea link that will connec

02/04/2025
Limerick City and County Council has welcomed the announcement of over €83 million in funding allocated for crucial road projects across the county.
The significant investment, part of a national roads funding package of €633 million announced by Transport Minister Darragh O’Brien, will see major

02/04/2025
Arco, the UK and Ireland's leading safety expert, opens its doors on a cutting-edge Customer Discovery Centre, marking a bold investment designed to transform customer experience and drive industry innovation.
This state-of-the-art facility brings together product expertise, advanced safety trainin

02/04/2025
Savills Ireland has announced a significant investment in the Northern Ireland property market through its acquisition of Osborne King, a respected and well-established commercial property agency with 36 employees.
This acquisition enhances Savills presence in Northern Ireland and strengthens its

02/04/2025
The directors of the McKeever Hotel Group have confirmed their acquisition of the Armagh City Hotel from its former owners, Kieran McAnallan, Felix Mooney, Brian McCormack and Ernie Fisher, for an undisclosed sum.
The popular city centre hotel, which has been a staple of the Armagh community since

02/04/2025
Minister for Housing, Local Government and Heritage, Darragh O'Brien, has welcomed the government's decision to extend the reduced 9% VAT rate on gas and electricity for an additional six months, until October 31. The lower rate was originally set to revert to 13.5% from May 1.
Minister O'Brien had

02/04/2025
Concrete slotted posts and gravel boards are emerging as a robust and efficient alternative to traditional timber fencing, offering significant advantages in durability, maintenance, and aesthetics, according to industry experts. Companies like FP McCann are highlighting these benefits for both resi

02/04/2025
A project to install new Variable Message Signs (VMS) along the A2 at Holywood, County Down, got underway on Tuesday 1 April.
The Department for Infrastructure (DfI) announced that the new signage will provide real-time travel information for commuters heading towards Belfast city centre and beyon

01/04/2025
Economy Minister Dr. Caoimhe Archibald has launched the Energy Strategy Action Plan 2025, outlining the key steps Northern Ireland will take this year to advance its transition towards a secure, affordable, and clean energy system.
This is the fourth annual action plan following the Executive’s ‘P

01/04/2025
PJ Hegarty has been awarded the prestigious Investors in Diversity Gold accreditation by the Irish Centre for Diversity (ICD), a leading charity focused on diversity and inclusion (D&I) training in Ireland. The accreditation acknowledges the construction company's success in embedding the principles